Thursday 9 May 2013

The Death of the Prince, Part 1

The sound of the sonorous music was dead
Feasting, merrying and drinking had all fled
For the unusual sorrowful state of the king's house
And the king laid down on the ground like a wounded mouse

Who would rouse our mourning king?
The elders of the land visited him, even his right wing
But he wouldn't raise himself and listen to their wise words
To my lord, the skilful harp player now plays untuned chords

In the new wife's room, laid the ill child in his mother's hand
Being treated by the best physicians in the land
"We have not seen this kind of sickness before"
I overheard them as I listened behind the door

"What an anguish upon the innocent little thing"
I said to myself as I walk back to the king,
Along the beautifully adored palace walk way 
Sadness has turned the precious ornaments to clay

I could perceive sweet-smelling freshly roasted lamb steak
Garnished with knead bread of the king's delightful bake
I asked the maids: "My lord, still won't eat?"
They walked pass me as they nod their heads as to a beat

Suddenly, a wailing arose
Together with the maids, I hurried to the close
Alas! Tragedy finally happened, yes, it did
Life, the poor child couldn't bid

The prophet had beforehand came out of the blue
I can't believe that his words are true
This whole event couldn't be
Why should the innocent child pay the fee?

The news spread around the palace like a wild fire
Grieve is in our veins like a hot steel wire
Weeping and wailing fill the air
Telling the king no one can dare

"Who is going to tell my lord the king the news?
Whoever does has his life to lose
The furious wrath of my lord is a great danger"
I thought, as I ran up to the king's chamber

The other servants were also already panicking
A looming upheaval of the king was ravaging
"He might do some harm!"
One of the servants raised an alarm

The task is on me, since I am the king's chief guard
How can the tidings proceed out of my mouth
"Is the child dead?"
We suddenly heard the voice resounding from behind

... to be continued

1 comment:

  1. Great piece, when are you finishing it up?

    ReplyDelete